September is Pain Awareness Month in the U.S. and I thought I would post some interesting facts you might not know about chronic pain in our country.
A Nation in Pain ~ The Facts
- More than 100 million American adults struggle with chronic pain. This is more than those with diabetes, heart disease and cancer combined.
- The most common causes of chronic pain are back and neck pain, arthritis, recurrent headaches, neurogenic (visible or explained) and psychogenic (not visible or explained) pain and cancer pain. (*see note below)
- Chronic pain is the number one cause of disability in the U.S.
- More than $600 billion dollars annually – the financial burden of chronic pain on our society.
- People with chronic pain are twice as more likely to commit suicide, which equates to about 20,000 chronic pain sufferers taking their own lives every year. Surprisingly, they don’t do this because of…
View original post 159 more words